Almost all gamers around the world must know games like Dota 2, League of Legends, Mobile Legends, or Arena of Valor. The game is currently a trend and is very popular with gamers around the world. But did you know that the above games are MOBA or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena games? Besides that, do you know who the originator of the first MOBA game was?

It all began in 2003 when a modern community of World of Warcraft games tried to incorporate a few elements in the Starcraft game including one of its maps into one of the World of Warcraft custom games in 2003. Then they named the game as Defense of the Ancients or DotA .

It turned out that at that time the DotA game immediately became the talk of World of Warcraft players and became the most favorite custom game. Unfortunately there are still many obstacles such as bugs, glinches, and balancing that occur in the DotA game. Until finally a person named “Icefrog” came and tried to make the DotaA game even better as DotA Allstar.

Together with Pendragon, Guinsoo, and Eul, icefrog made the DotA Allstar game for years the best game of its time. Besides that, Icefrog has also succeeded in making DotA Allstar a competitive esports game and various tournaments are held all over the world.

Until finally in 2009 the development team felt DotA Allstar had reached its peak and it was impossible to renew again. Here there are differences of opinion from the DotA Allstar developers. Pendragon believes the DotA game is over and they need to make a new MOBA game with a new engine, meanwhile Icefrog believes that DotA isn’t over and can still be saved which finally makes Pendragon quit the team.

In addition Pendragon also regretted the actions of icofrog who tried to sell the assets of Dotstar Allstar to world-famous developers to make a version of DotA with a new engine. Shortly after the departure of Pendragon, Tryndamere, one of the developers of RIOT Games, invited him to create a new MOBA game that we now know as League of Legends.

Meanwhile Icefrog is still trying to revive the DotA game and meet with the developer of S2 Games. S2 Games promises icefrog to create a DotA game with the new engine he dreams of. Unfortunately the game is not in accordance with the estimates of Icefrog because it deviates from DotA which is currently named HoN (Heroes of Newerth).

Furthermore, the valve revealed that they are interested in remaking the DotA game and inviting icefrog into their team. Until finally came the game that we now know as Dota 2. Controversy occurred when the valve banned S2 Games from copying aspects of DotA but the S2 Games claimed to have the right to use aspects of DotA because Icefrog had worked with them.

Many argue who exactly the icefrog is and the various controversies he created. The former valve employee revealed that Icefrog was actually Abdul Ismail and had a bad personality, besides that he was also a former developer of the RIOT Games and S2 Games. Meanwhile, the valve has denied all accusations brought against Icefrog.

Finally he posted his pet cat on the Playdota forum and asked Dota 2 players to name the cat. But unfortunately, only about 1% of the forum’s readers suggested the name to the icefrog cat, the remaining 99% of the readers even said their words to stop posting something that had nothing to do with the game and asked icefrog to focus on Dota. That’s the last post of icefrog to the Dota game community.

Until now Icefrog is still one of the valve employees to develop the Dota 2 game. But clearly we don’t know the real name or face of Icefrog. Because it is different from game developers / influencers in the world who introduce themselves to the outside world, Icefrog prefers to remain mysterious in the name of icefrog.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *